What better way to get people together and talking than over a cupcake or two (or three)? Cupcake Day is held every year by the Alzheimer’s Society (this year Thursday 17 June) and offers a wonderful opportunity to raise vital funds to support people affected by dementia. So, get your friends and family together (at home or by video call) and get baking to support this great cause. Read on to find out why you should, how to join in, and then follow our easy cupcake recipe!
How You’ll Help
Each year Cupcake Day helps to raise funds for Alzheimer’s Society, funds that are vitally important, especially now. The Alzheimer’s Society is the UK’s leading dementia charity, and all donations are used to campaign for change, fund research into prevention and treatments, and support people living with dementia today. During the recent crisis, their support services were needed more than ever, and thanks to donations, were there to help people affected by dementia. So, by coming together with your loved ones over a tasty treat, you can help sustain this vital support.
How to Host Your Cupcake Day
The official Cupcake Day is on Thursday 17 June, but you’re welcome to celebrate on whichever day suits you best. Once the date is set and the invites are out, follow these three simple steps:
- Sign up on the alzheimers.org.uk/cupcakeday website to receive your free fundraising kit (with goodies to help you host and useful resources to raise awareness about dementia).
- Get baking! Check out our easy cupcake recipe below. These vanilla cakes are ready in half an hour and are the perfect base for some creative decoration: from icing to chocolate to sprinkles to fresh berries and more! If you’re stretched for time, you can always just buy some from the shops.
- Collect donations at your event and then pay them in to alzheimers.org.uk. You can do this by their website, JustGiving page, over the phone (0300 222 5770) or by cheque.
Easy Cupcake Recipe
Ingredients (makes 12):
- 125g self-raising flour
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 125g softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/180ºC Fan/gas mark 6/400ºF and fill your tray with 12 cases.
- Mix the butter and sugar by hand or with an electric whisk.
- Then, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and add enough milk to achieve a dropping consistency.
- Divide the batter between the cases and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes (or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean).
- Allow them to cool on a wire rack and then get decorating!
We’d love to see how you decide to decorate your cupcakes! So why not share a photo? Tag us alongside @alzheimerssoc on Twitter and Instagram (or @alzheimerssocietyuk on Facebook) and use the hashtag #CupcakeDay.