I have many favourites from my childhood, but this Russian Salad has to be number one. We have variations of this salad. It is a traditional dish for New Year’s Eve too and definitely something, I would make for parties and BBQs too. Rumour has it, Napoleon enjoyed this dish and it originated in France, though possibly a slightly different version. Processed peas is what really makes this salad in my view.
- 1 can of processed peas (glass jar often comes mixed with diced carrots. Available in most Eastern European stores)
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- Chopped spring onions or 1 medium onion chopped
- 100 gr sausage “Doktorskaya” or boiled ground beef chopped into small cubes
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1 large boiled carrot
- 4 gherkins or half of a large fresh cucumber
- 3 tbsp of mayo
- 3 tbsp of soured cream
- Chopped dill or parsley to garnish
Add the peas to a large bowl. Chop the other vegetables, sausage, and eggs. Add all to the bowl and mix together with the peas. In a separate bowl mix the sour cream and mayo, then add it into the salad and mix well.
Serve in small bowls, plates or on the side of BBQ meats, garnish with herbs.
View video recipe here.
Rye bread goes well with this salad.